South Orange Village Center Alliance
South Orange Village Center Alliance is the not-for-profit management entity of the Special Improvement District. Founded in 1991 as Main Street South Orange, the organization is run by an Executive Director, a volunteer board of directors and committees. South Orange Village Center Alliance is a designated Main Street community and is guided by Main Street New Jersey, a program of the NJ Department of Community Affairs, and the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
The vision of the South Orange Village Center Alliance is for South Orange, NJ to be a choice destination where people want to live, work, visit and enjoy. We are committed to strengthening the downtown district as the center of the town. Our work includes improving the economic viability by supporting existing businesses and recruiting new businesses; guiding entrepreneurs; supporting cultural activities that complement existing stores and services; making South Orange Village a cleaner, safer, and more attractive pedestrian-friendly environment; and ensuring there is adequate public parking while preserving the attractive architectural legacy of the downtown area.
The South Orange Village Center Alliance works in tandem with all other stakeholders to improve the downtown by implementing the Main Street Four-Point Approach, which includes Design, Promotion, Organization, and Economic Development.
South Orange Village Center Board of Directors:
- Mark Murphy, Business Owner (Chair)
- Deborah Engel, Property Owner (Vice-Chair)
- Mark Hartwyk, SO Parking Authority Representative (Treasurer)
- Michael Maza, Resident (Secretary)
- Catherine Fisher, Business Owner
- Jonathan Javins, Business Owner
- Claudine Baptiste, Property Owner
- Sunny Uberoi, Property Owner
- Amelia Cruz-Holder, Property Owner
- Courtney Bryan, Resident
- George Constantinou, Business Owner
- Maurice R. Blackwell, Resident
- Dee Billia, SOPAC Representative
- Matthew Borowick, SHU Representative
- Steven Schnall, Village Trustee Representative
- Adam Loehner, Deputy Village Administrator
Meetings: Generally held on the 3rd Wednesday of each month in the Municipal Offices, 76 South Orange Avenue, South Orange, NJ 07079 in Conference Room 1 at 8:00 a.m. All meetings are open to the public in accordance with the requirements of the “Open Public Meetings Act” (Sunshine Law).
More information on the South Orange Village Center Alliance (SOVCA) can be found at: http://www.sovillagecenter.org/