Peter S. Conner Memorial Swimming Pool
Rules and Regulations
The Peter S. Connor Memorial Swimming Pool is a municipal facility administered through the South Orange Department of Recreation and Cultural Affairs. The South Orange Community Pool is located within the Cameron Field complex, across from The Baird, 5 Mead Street. Along with the pool, Cameron Field includes a regulation baseball diamond, tennis courts, a children’s playground and field sports area. The pool is accessible via walking paths from Mead Street, South Orange Avenue, the Duck Pond area and the South Orange Middle School parking lot on North Ridgewood Road.
Swimming Pool: (973) 378-7766
Department of Recreation & Cultural Affairs: (973) 378-7754, ext. 1
Code-A-Phone(announcements regarding weather closings, etc.): (973) 762-0748
2013 DATES AND HOURS OF OPERATION
The Pool will be open 12:00-8:00 pm Memorial Day Weekend, May 25-27, and weekends only thereafter through Sunday, June 23rd. Beginning Monday, June 24th, regular season hours will begin, as follows:
- Monday thru Friday: 12:00-8:00 pm (beginning August 15th closing is at 7:30 pm)
- Saturday/Sunday: 10:00 am-8:00 pm (beginning August 15th closing is at 7:30 pm)
- July 4th: 10:00 am-8:00 pm
- • Labor Day Weekend (Saturday, Sunday, Monday): 10:00-6:00 pm
Early Bird Swim
The community pool is open 6:15-8:00 am Monday through Friday during the pool season (excluding holidays) for Early Bird Swim. A special tag is required for Early Bird Access. The fee is $35 for the season.
The South Orange community pool offers Swim Lessons for all ages. Group lessons are generally offered in the morning. The schedule and registration information can be found at
www.thebaird.org. (Once there, select “View Activities” and then “Swim Activities” from the Category drop-down box.)
The South Orange community pool is host to the Dolphins Swim Team. Swim Team practices are held weekday mornings and meets take place in the afternoon. Program details and registration information can be found at www.thebaird.org. (Once there, select “View Activities” and then “Swim Activities” from the category drop-down box). The Dolphins also have their own website at www.southorangedolphins.com.
The community pool shall close immediately upon sighting of lightning or sounding of thunder and remain closed for a minimum of thirty minutes from the last sight of lightning or sounding of thunder. All pool patrons must leave the pool immediately and seek permanent shelter. Patrons are not allowed to stay on the pool grounds during thunderstorms.
Pool Management reserves the right to close the pool for the entire day of part thereof based on weather conditions. Information on pool closings is available by calling the Code-A-Phone at (973) 762-0748.
Any pool not meeting State bacteriological standards shall be closed until such conditions are corrected.
The South Orange community pool is restricted to the use of South Orange Residents who live permanently and continually within the Village and are in possession of their current South Orange Recreation I.D. Badge.
Pool privileges are available to guests of South Orange residents. Guests must be accompanied by a resident when using the pool facilities. Guests are allowed every day of the pool season.
GUEST PASS CARDS can be purchased at the Baird. These cards include five passes at a cost of $40.00 per unit. The Senior Citizen (62 years of age and over) discount rate for a card of five passes is $20.00. Beginning August 15th, units of less than five passes can be purchased at a prorated cost.
Guest Pass Cards will be sold to adults upon presentation of their valid South Orange Department of Recreation & Cultural Affairs I.D. Badge (no exceptions). Children (17 years of age and under) may purchase guest passes with a signed letter from their parent or guardian and presentation of their own valid ID Badge. Guest Pass Cards may be purchased at The Baird or by mail using the attached Community Pool Guest Pass Mail Application.
INDIVIDUAL GUEST PASSES can now be purchased at the pool on the day of use. Individual guest pass are available at the pool ONLY at a cost of $10 each.
Guest Passes are valid only for the Season in which they are purchased. They are not transferable and not replaceable if lost or stolen. NO REFUNDS WILL BE ISSUED FOR GUEST PASSES.
CHILD CARE I.D. BADGE
A special Recreation I.D. Badge is available to employees hired by South Orange Residents for the care of their children. The employee and terms of employment must meet the following criteria:
- Employment must be on a full time basis (minimum 5 days a week).
- Employee must be 15 years of age or older.
- The employer (resident) must certify that the employee meets the above criteria by completing an “Affidavit for Live-in, Live-out Employees”.
The fee for the Child Care I.D. Badge is $75.00 for the calendar year. The badge is valid 7 days per week. “Live-out” employees may only access the pool when accompanied by and caring for a minor of the employing family.
GENERAL RULES AND REGULATIONS
- No person shall be allowed in the water when a lifeguard is not present.
- Diving will be permitted only in the designated diving areas.
- No swimming during electrical storms.
- A sixteen (16) year old member may bring a guest or a sibling who is under eleven (11). A member must be eleven (11) years of age or older without an adult and may bring a guest who is age eleven (11) or older.
- All bathers, including babies, must wear bathing suits in the pool. Babies must wear approved swim diapers.
- Children using the wading pool must be attended by an adult. All persons including babies must wear swim suits in both the main and baby pools. Babies also must wear approved swim diapers.
- Sitting on the pool steps and ladders, or blocking access to same, is not permitted.
- Deck chairs may not be moved from the concrete deck areas. Only one chair per person.
- Bicycles must be kept in the racks provided.
- Changing of diapers on the pool deck is prohibited. Changing areas are provided in the pool house.
- All persons having a communicable disease, open blisters or cuts, sore or inflamed eyes, ears, nose or mouth infections, excessive sunburn or any type of skin disease will be excluded from the pool area. No bandages will be allowed in the water.
- Do not enter the water if you are experiencing or recovering from diarrhea or have had any signs or symptoms of a gastrointestinal (stomach) disease in the past seven days.
- Dressing and undressing shall be done only in the locker rooms.
- Radios must have headphones.
- The Village of South Orange, Department of Recreation & Cultural Affairs is not responsible for personal property brought into the facility or stored in lockers.
- All litter, paper and other debris must be placed in designated trash receptacles.
- Flotation devices are prohibited at all times.
- No alcoholic beverages will be permitted in the facility.
- No food or beverages shall be served and/or consumed within the pool area except in designated areas.
- No food deliveries from local food establishments allowed.
- No glass containers may be brought within the fenced-in portion of the pool area.
- No gum chewing within pool area.
- No smoking inside the facility.
- No vulgarity, wrestling, rowdiness, running, ball playing, gambling or similar activities affecting the safety or comfort of others will be permitted in the pool, the pool deck, the bathhouse or parking lot. Such conduct will result in disciplinary action by the management.
- No animals, except “working” dogs.
- No blowing of horns, any other unnecessary noise, or loitering will be permitted in the pool area.
Depth 3 ½ feet to 8 feet (excluding the diving well)
- Adult Swims are at the Manager’s discretion based on time of day and bather load. When conducted, they will be called at the top of the hour and last for 15 minutes. During these periods, the shallow end and lap lanes will be reserved for ADULT SWIM (eighteen years of age and above). In addition children 18 months of age or younger may accompany their parents in the main pool at this time. All other ages will be allowed in the deep end during adult swim periods.
- Lap lanes are reserved for lap swimming at all times. Patrons may not cross lap lanes when in use.
- Patrons are not allowed within the 4 foot area around the main pool denoted by a painted white line except as follows:
- Green Line – Sitting area
- Red Line – Jumping area
- Entrance to the water must be made through an approved means only (i.e. steps, ladders, jumping area).
Depth 14 feet
- All persons wishing to use the diving boards must first demonstrate both swimming and coordination skills necessary to use either diving board. The pool management will certify eligibility for diving board use periodically throughout the season.
- Only one person is permitted on a diving board at a time.
- Only one bounce on a board is permitted
- Do not dive until the previous diver has reached the exit ladder.
- Diving and jumping from the side of a board is not permitted.
- Recreational swimming is not permitted in the diving tank.
- Surface diving and underwater swimming are not allowed in the diving tank.
- Only forward facing diving is allowed.
Depth 18 inches to 36 inches
- Everyone using the Intermediate Pool must enter and leave the water by way of the steps at the shallow end or the ladders.
- Jumping and diving into the pool are strictly prohibited.
Depth 6 inches to 18 inches
- Use of the Wading Pool is restricted to small children.
- Supervision of the child is the responsibility of the person(s) bringing the child into the pool area. A parent/care giver must remain in the vicinity of the wading pool at all times the child is using this area.
- Babies must wear approved swim diapers.
Enforcement of Rules & Regulations
- A copy of these rules and regulations shall be prominently posted at the pool, and they shall be strictly enforced.
- The Department of Recreation & Cultural Affairs, its designated representative, or the Pool Manager, may close or limit the swimming facilities or establish such additional rules and regulations whenever, in the opinion of the aforementioned, such action is deemed necessary or desirable for the protection of the health, safety, or welfare of persons using the facility.
Penalties for Violation of these Rules and Regulations
- Any person who violates these rules and regulations shall be subject to immediate ejection from the facility by the Manager or, in his absence, by the Assistant Manager, and his membership shall be subject to revocation or suspension by the Department of Recreation & Cultural Affairs.
- If membership of any person or family is obtained by means of a fraudulent statement, such membership may be cancelled without refund.
- Destruction of property may result in suspension or revocation of membership without refund.