PD Easy Access

Handicapped Placards

Temporary Handicapped Placard: to apply for a temporary parking placard:

  1. Applications for Temporary Handicapped Placards are available from the Record Bureau at the South Orange Police Department.
  2. Applications must be certified by a doctor verifying the need for a placard.
  3. Completed applications must be returned to the Record Bureau along with a $4.00 payable to New Jersey Motor vehicle Commission

Temporary placards are issued for six months, with one six-month renewal allowed

Permanent Handicapped placard or plates:

-Applications for Permanent Handicapped Placards or Plates can be obtained by visiting a local MVC agency or via the internet at Application for Vehicle License Plates and/or Placards [143k pdf] (http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/Vehicles/HDC_Placard_Application.pdf)

-Completed applications must be mail to :
NJMVC Special Plate Unit
PO Box 015
Trenton, NJ 08666-0015

A copy of the vehicle registration must be included with plate applications. There is no additional charge for handicapped plates.
Applicants without a license or non-driver identification card must prove identity by passing 6 Point ID Verification.

reserved parkingNote: Handicapped plates cannot be issued for vehicles owned by or leased to companies, organizations or groups.



Numbers To Know
Police Dept
(973) 763-3000
(973) 763-3000 x7794
Records Room
(973) 763-3000 x7782
Community Relations
(973) 763-3000 x7783
Juvenile Bureau
(973) 763-3000 x7788
Municipal Court
(973) 762-2839