Department of Health and Animal Control
Please note: The vaccine for COVID-19 can be obtained here. Please do not call the health department looking for a vaccine.
At this time, the office is open, however all visitors must wear a mask upon entering. In addition:
- The public is required to maintain a six-foot social distance inside our public buildings to the extent possible.
- Vaccinated employees are not required to maintain a 6-foot distance from other employees and the public but will respect the comfort level of others.
- Non-vaccinated employees will maintain a six-foot distance.
For Animal Control, please click here.
The South Orange Department of Health's mission is to prevent disease and promote physical and mental well being through policy development, disease detection, prevention, education, and enforcement; that ensures the highest quality of life for the residents we serve.
The Health Officer provides the leadership and support which enables the staff to accomplish their job responsibilities. The Health Officer reports to the Board of Health as the Chief Executive Officer. Through his oversight the Health Department is in compliance with Federal and State laws and local ordinances concerning Public Health.
The Health Department is governed by the Public Health Practice Standards of Performance for Local Boards of Health in New Jersey, N.J.A.C. 8:52 and the "Ten Essential Services of Public Health". The “Ten Essential Services of Public Health are covered by the four Core Functions below:
Core Function 1 – Assessment:
- Monitor health status and understand health issues facing the community.
- Diagnose and investigate.
Core Function 2 - Policy Development:
- Inform and educate to make healthy choices.
- Engage the community to identify and solve health problems.
- Develop public health policies and plans.
Core Function 3 – Assurance:
- Enforce public health law and regulations.
- Link people to needed health services.
- Maintain a competent public health workforce.
- Evaluate and improve programs.
Core Function 4 - System Management:
- Conduct research
The Health Department is a Public Health Service Agency that offers a full range of health services in compliance with the Public Health Practice Standards of Performance for Local Boards of Health in New Jersey.
The Health Department offers a variety of health education programs for the community. Programs such as Alcohol Abuse Control, Blood Borne Pathogens, Chronic Disease Management, Drug Abuse Control, Food Safety, Injury Control, Lead Education, Nutrition, Pet Safety, Smoking Prevention. Several years ago we teamed up with the Saint Barnabas Medical Center, Community Health & Outreach. Now we can offer many more health education topics for the public.
Mon Jul. 26
Mon Jul. 26
Tue Jul. 27