Essex County Announces the 2021 Legacies Writing Contest
Seniors with a great story to tell can take part in Essex County's 2021 Legacies Writing Contest. County residents aged 60+ are encouraged to submit an original story about a special person, life-changing experience or a significant period in their life. Several South Orange and Maplewood residents have won awards in previous years, so we encourage everyone to share their stories!
The contest deadline is Monday, April 5. The contest rules:
- You must be an Essex County resident, 60 years old or older.
- The stories should focus on a special person, a life-altering experience or a significant period in your life.
- The maximum length is 1,500 words.
- Must be typed or legibly hand-written on standard-sized paper.
- A cover page with the story's title, the author's name, date of birth, address and telephone number is required.
- A title with no identifying information should appear on the first page of the story text.
- Only one entry per person
- Previously published stories cannot be entered.
- Late entries will not be accepted.
Stories can be sent to the Essex County Division of Senior Services to the attention of Gloria Chambers-Benoit at 465 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard, Suite 102, Newark NJ 07102 or they can be emailed to Chambers-Benoit at email@example.com. Stories will not be returned, so keep a copy.
Sing for Hope Continues
A big thanks to the South Orange and Maplewood Recreation Departments for continuing to provide access to Sing for Hope online arts, music and programming. Access the calendar and all arts experiences through this link: https://www.singforhope.org/hap/soma2towns/