Registrar & Vital Statistics Information

For South Orange Village, the Clerk serves as the Registrar of Vital Statistics, archiving records of births, marriages, and deaths that have occurred in the Village. 

For Information about historical vital records, 100 years or older, visit the State Archives web page or call 609-292-6260

Marriage, Remarriage & Civil Union Licenses

The Clerk processes applications for marriage, remarriage, and civil union licenses for residents living in the Village, or those living out-of-state wishing to perform their ceremony here.

How to Apply

To apply for a marriage, remarriage, or civil union license, please use the online application HERE

Applications for a marriage, remarriage, or civil union are taken by appointment only. Once the application is completed and appointment time is requested, it will be confirmed by email within 24-48 hours. 


  • Applicants must be at least 18 years of age and must show proof of birth.
  • Applicants under the age of 18 may enter into a marriage with parental consent and applicants under the age of 16 must obtain parental consent and consent approved in writing by a judge of the Superior Court, Chancery Division, Family part in the State of New Jersey.

Where To Apply

For New Jersey residents, the application for a license is submitted in the municipality in which either of the two applicants reside. The marriage or civil union can take place anywhere within the State of New Jersey. If both applicants live out-of-state, the application is to be made in the municipality where the ceremony will be performed.

To apply for a certified copy of a marriage, remarriage, civil union or death license:

The Village Clerk’s Office maintains records of births, marriages, and deaths that have occurred in the Village and issues certified copies of these vital records, upon application. Certified copies are legal documents used to establish the identity of an individual, and contain the raised seal of the Village.

Request A Copy

To request a certified copy, you must first verify what town the event took place in. You can apply for certified copies in person at Village Hall, or file online here. 

Divorce Decrees

New Jersey Divorce Decrees are available through the Superior Court of NJ Records Center for year 2013 and prior. For more information on obtaining a certified copy of a divorce decree, call The Records Center at 609-421-6100. 

For Divorce Decrees that are not housed at the RIC in Trenton, years 2014 to current, contact the Family Division of the County in which the divorce took place.  For Essex County call 973-776-9031.