- OUR COMMUNITY
- Drought Status
Current Status: Normal
For more information on present drought conditions go to - http://njdrought.org
You can pick up water conservation information and a free toilet leak detection tablet at the South Orange Public Library while supplies last. 65 Scotland Rd, South Orange, NJ, 973-762-0230.
Tips to Reduce Water Waste
• Water lawns (and outdoor plants) less frequently (2-3 times per week) for no more than 30 minutes. This allows the soil to absorb the water and enables roots to grow more deeply, which encourages drought tolerance.
• Never water during the heat of the day, as this promotes evaporation and leads to water waste.
• Sprinkler systems should be set to water after sunset or before dawn, and by law should be equipped with an automated shut-off switch that disables the system following rainfall.
• Install water-saving shower-heads and faucet aerators in the bathroom and kitchen (available at most home improvement stores and some supermarkets).
• Do not let faucets run when brushing your teeth or washing the dishes.
• Run washing machines and dishwashers only when they are full, or select the properly sized wash cycle for the current laundry load.
• Use a broom to sweep the sidewalk, rather than a hose.
• Use mulch and native plants to conserve water in the garden.
• Use a rain barrel to capture water from a downspout to use later for watering gardens and plants.
• Use soaker hoses or drip irrigation to water trees, gardens and flower beds.