Permit to Carry a Handgun
A New Jersey Permit to Carry is valid for two (2) years from time of approval. The following instructions are the same for the initial and renewal applications.
PLEASE CALL THE SOUTH ORANGE POLICE DEPARTMENT PRIOR TO SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATION – AN APPOINTMENT IS REQUIRED.
PLEASE PROVIDE THE FOLLOWING AT TIME OF APPLICATION:
- Driver’s License and Birth Certificate OR Driver’s License and Passport OR Driver’s License and Naturalization Paperwork/Green Card.
- Three (3) State of New Jersey Applications For Permit To Carry A Handgun, form SP642. Must be double-sided and notarized. (See Quick Links)
- Four (4) color passport size photographs.
- Consent for Mental Health Records Search, form SP066. (See Quick Links)
- Written proof of ownership and qualification with the handgun(s) you intend on carrying.
- a. Proof of ownership can be a purchase receipt or purchase permit or a notarized letter of ownership listing make, model, and serial number of handgun(s).
- b. Written qualification must be within six (6) months of application and include the Instructors Name and Certification, make, model, caliber and serial number of handgun(s) you intend to carry.
- Money Order in the amount of $50.00 payable to; “State of New Jersey-Treasurer”
** IF ANY OF THE PRECEDING IS NOT COMPLETE OR INCORRECT, THE APPLICATION WILL BE RETURNED AND YOU WILL HAVE TO RE-APPLY.
** ALL APPLICANTS (INITIAL AND RENEWAL) FOR PERMIT TO CARRY A HANDGUN MUST BE FINGERPRINTED. INSTRUCTIONS FOR FINGER PRINTING WILL BE PROVIDED AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION.
** THE REQUIRED WRITTEN FIREARMS QUALIFICATION, IN ACCORDANCE WITH N.J.A.C. 13:54-2.4(B), CAN BE OBTAINED AT MOST FIREARM RANGES THROUGHOUT THE STATE.
A LIST IS ALSO AVAILABLE ON THE NJ STATE POLICE WEBSITE, WWW.NJSP.ORG > PUBLIC INFORMATION > FIREARMS INFORMATION > NEW JERSEY SHOOTING RANGES FOR RPO QUALIFICATION.