Christmas tree pickups
Christmas trees will be picked up from the curb beginning the first full week of January. Trees must be free of ornaments, lighting, wire, decorations, plastic wrap or tree stands. No wreaths or other holiday decorations will be collected.
Snow removal will begin in the Village when three or more inches of snow have fallen on Village streets. Public Works vehicles will make four passes on each street; two down the center and one near each curb. Depending on the volume of snow, roadways will be plowed more than once.
Following these guidelines makes snow season better for everyone.
- Remove cars from the street as soon as possible before a storm. Salting of roadways will begin prior to snow plowing.
- Park vehicles in driveways to allow curb to curb plowing. *On street permits may park in the 3rd St. Garage.
- If you park on a street you are expected to clear the area around your vehicle.
- Delay driveway shoveling until after streets are plowed. Plowed snow will build up on your driveway apron. This is unavoidable.
- Avoid shoveling or blowing snow into the street (tell your private contractor).
- Shovel sidewalks within 12 hours of daylight after a snowfall.
- Walkway and driveway shoveling allows emergency services to access homes in the event of a fire, illness, or public safety emergency.
The DPW will pick up leaves and branches placed at the curb during the Spring Cleaning dates listed on the calendar.
- Place bundles at the curb (not in the street or on the sidewalks).
- Only branches under 4 inches in diameter and no roots or stumps.
- Tie any branches 2 inches or under into bundles using cord or twine.
- Place leaves and yard clippings in brown biodegradable paper bags (no plastic) at the curb (not in the street or on the sidewalks).
- Unlike in the fall, do not rake your leaves into the street.
- Grass Clippings: The Department of Public Works does not take grass clippings under any circumstances. Contact your landscaper or trash hauler for pickup.
Humus and Shredded Wood Mulch
Small amounts of humus and shredded wood mulch are available at the DPW Recycling Center year round but in Spring residents can also schedule a delivery of 2-5 cubic yards by appointment, on select dates, for a fee of $50. Limit to one product per household monthly, with a maximum order of 5 cubic yards of material.
Delivery dates in 2024 are April 19, May 24, June 21, or July 19, by appointment only via this website. Mulch & Humus Order Form
On Container Days in the Summer, residents may drop off large bulk household items at the DPW Facility and Recycling Center at 300 Walton Avenue. Container Days are held on the 3rd Saturday of April, May, June, July, August, and September. Check the calendar for details. Exclusions: electronics, hazardous waste, and construction material. Commercial vehicles are not permitted to enter the facility (no U-hauls, Home Depot vehicles etc.) Proof of residency may be requested.
Branch Pick up
The DPW will pick up bundled branches from the curb on the 4th Tuesday of June, July, August, September. Branches should be four inches or smaller in diameter, bundled, and placed curbside the evening before the pickup date.
During Leaf Season (see calendar for specific dates), residents are permitted to rake leaves into the street for removal. For South Orange Roadways view the current South Orange Leaf Map here, then select the "Leaf Map" layer to see when your neighborhood will be picked up.
For County Roadways contact Essex County for their leaf removal schedule at (973) 239-3366.
To ensure safety and efficiency for everyone, the Department of Public Works reminds residents to adhere to these guidelines and review them with landscapers.
- Leaf season pickup runs for 7 weeks in Autumn, only. See the calendar for specific dates, do not pile leaves in the street before or after these dates.
- Pile leaves no wider than 4 feet, for traffic safety, leaving a 6 – 12-inch gap between the curb and pile to allow storm water to pass to catch basins.
- Do not block fire hydrants or driveways, for everyone’s safety
- Do not bag leaves or place tree limbs, branches, or other yard waste at the curb (or in piles) at this time. These can damage leaf processing equipment and will not be picked up during leaf season.
- Follow the leaf map for increased efficiency.
- For County road leaf pickup schedules, contact Essex County at (973) 239-3366.
During late fall and early winter fire wood will periodically be available for free pick up at the Recycling Center on a first come, first serve basis, while supplies last.